Wednesday, 24 January 2018

Looking for a Literary Agent?


The novel is with the editors. It’s a strange feeling. No longer can I tweak my manuscript, change a sentence here, a word there. So, this week my thoughts have turned to publishing.

It’s a thorny issue I’ve been grappling with, to publish or self-publish. I’m still undecided what is best for The Boomerang Effect. As an author there are pros and cons to both approaches, and some excellent authors out there who have chosen either route. In the meantime, I decided to look for an agent. Someone to represent my novel and to bring it under the noses of publishing houses, if this is the route I subsequently choose.

The lovely people at Agent Hunter offered me a peek at their website in return for an honest review, so here it is.

The problem with the internet these days is the difficulty in finding what you need amongst the weight of information, noise and clutter. When pertinent information is collated into one place, as it is with Agent Hunter, it’s such a timesaver and I can honestly say I would not have found my short list of agents if it hadn’t been for this site. As with all industries, there are very good agents out there, but also some that don’t have a good track record. Sifting through disparate strands of information on the internet to discover all this is incredibly time-consuming. On Agent Hunter there’s a factual review of each agent based on their genre, listing the authors they represent, pulling together information found on the individuals’ and agency’s pages along with their social media pages. The website also lists publishers, too, and although I’m not planning to approach publishers directly, the search feature on Agent Hunter makes it simple to narrow down a search.

I’ve now made my short(ish) list of agents and I’m mightily relived that this particular task on my to-do’ list took so much less time than I’d envisaged.  So, yes, for anyone who is looking for an agent, I would definitely recommend Agent Hunter. They offer different levels of membership, some of which include synopsis and agent query letter reviews as part of the package. Agent Hunter is offered by writers workshop, one of the leading writers’ consultancy services in the UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment

check out my new blog on The Hatchery Writers page

It's been a while since I posted. I have no excuse except it's been a bit of a whirlwind summer. Catch up with the gestation and bi...